Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Good Knitting Day

This was what was waiting for me at my back door this morning. Two boxes of wool. One is Patons Classic Wool in Winter White and the other is Knit Picks Bare sock yarn plus navy and purple acid dyes.














This is what I bought to go with my new yarn. Wilton dyes in these colours - lemon yellow, violet, copper, royal blue, juniper green, moss green, black, red, delphinium and cornflower. The experimenting begins in the morning!














I have been making good progress on the socks I am knitting. I am hoping to have the pair finished by Friday.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Yarn Dyeing Day



What a great day today was. I have a working computer again and today was our yarn dyeing day!

We started the afternoon by picking a mix of marigolds, zinnias, chrysanthemums and goldenrod. While they were cooking we dyeing some wool with Kool-Aid in the microwave. Everyone's skein turned out differently with different shades of reds, greens, oranges and purples.



After straining the plant material from the two pots, the flower mix gave a golden yellow dye and the goldenrod was a brighter yellow colour. For our third pot we added turmeric to the clear water to get a very, very bright yellow. (Thanks Sarah for bringing the turmeric) We added vinegar as the mordant to all three pots and added the skeins of wool. The goldenrod turned a light yellow/green colour (top right), the flower mix had only a faint yellow tinge and the turmeric stayed a vivid yellow (bottom right). As an experiment, we added paprika to the flower mix for a nice burnt orange colour (top left). The wool was left to simmer in the pots and absorb the dye. The finished skeins turned out just like the colour in the pots and held their colour well during rinsing.




The Kool Aid dyed skeins were hung out to dry and













we all took a well deserved break and sat down to knit.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Tent Sale

On Saturday four of us went to the Spinrite tent sale in Listowel. Like always when knitters get together, we had a great day and came home with a lot of yarn!

Here we are in the tent double checking that we had everything we needed before checking out and heading into the store to do some more shopping!



















Chris with all of her yarn!



















The trunk was full!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Second Strip

This picture shows how the first and second strip will look when they are joined together.



I decided not to bother with the ending triangles but to just continue in the pattern until the desired length was reached and cast off. I am happy with how it looks. Just one more diamond to knit and this strip will be finished.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Diamonds and Triangles


The sock has been put on hold while I get back to the afghan. The first of four modular strips is completed.














Here is a close up of the ending of the first strip. My first thought was to knit a plan stocking st block on the end of each strip as we did for the cable round but once I started knitting it I wasn't liking it. So, I pulled it out and just continued with the diamond pattern until it was the length of the afghan (the diamond has 11 sts for those of you who are knitting this with me) and cast off. It makes a nice scalloped edge (Sarah, perfect edge for a scarf!) Even though the diamond isn't the same size, I am happy with how it looks.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Another Try

My birthday socks seem to be a never ending work in progress. Here is the latest attempt.



Even though I have only knit 5 rows of the pattern, I am loving these cables! The pattern is Sunshine from the book Sock Innovation. (The whole book is great by the way) I am using Knit Picks cotton/wool blend Risata, the colour is Seedling and and needles are a size 2.25mm. These socks are knit from the top down using the magic loop. I am having so much fun with this pattern already! I have a good feeling that these socks will actually get finished. I think that it is always a good sign when your flowers match your needles and yarn :)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Finished Cables


Apparently crossing my fingers worked. The cable round is finished with 3 grams of yarn left over.